The Leaking Water Appliance: Who Do You Call, The Plumber Or The Appliance Repair Technician?

What do a washer, dishwasher, refrigerator with ice maker, a water heater, and a water softener all have in common? They are all water-related appliances. Every last one of these appliances uses water in some way, or channels water for home use. If you are like most homeowners, you probably have the majority of these appliances. You will also have to repair each of them at some point. When a water appliance breaks down and starts leaking water everywhere, do you know who to call? There are only two options here, really; either an emergency plumber, or an appliance repair technician. Which do you call? Here are some tips to help you decide. 

Water Heaters and Softeners: Definitely the Plumber

With water heaters and water softeners, you should definitely call the plumber. Both of these appliances fall directly under the professional jurisdiction of plumbing, and the plumber will not only be able to diagnose the problem, but he/she will also have experience and replacement units to fix these issues. If he/she does not have a water softener unit or a water heater on hand that is the right size and right type, he/she can order one and come back to install it the next day or within a few days. 

Washers and Dishwashers

If it is during normal business hours, you can call the appliance repair technician. If it is outside business hours or on the weekends, you should call the emergency plumber. The plumber takes repair jobs outside of business hours and can fix most of the problems you are having with leaks and these two appliances. Usually leaks from these two machines has something to do with a drainage hose, or a loose or missing rubber gasket, both of which the plumber can replace. 


A refrigerator is really not a plumber's area of expertise, unless the leak is coming from the pipeline and hose that goes from the refrigerator to the floor and connects with the water supply line in your home. The rest of the time, you want to contact an appliance repair technician, or better yet, an HVAC technician, since refrigerators tend to be more of a cooling and refrigeration thing than anything else. You may even find an HVAC technician/company that provides twenty-four-hour service to customers whose refrigerators fail at the worst times of the day/night. Try to figure out where the water leak in your fridge is coming from, and then you know who to call for help.